Painted pine, 22K gold leaf, medium density fiber board, sheet lead
Roberto Cardinale presents the St. Francis de Sales Church, designed by Hungarian-born, Bauhaus-trained architect Marcel Breuer. Designed in 1966, the St. Francis de Sales Church is singular for its hyperbolic paraboloid and brutalist design.
Hand carved and framed from rough sawn pine, Cardinale sculpts several elements that nod to the original chapel. Its textured appearance, which he finished in approximately 1000 hand-cut lead shingles, expertly and exquisitely honor its original texture. He also uses his own artistic mastery to add intricate accents in 22k gold leaf, creating mixtures in color and material. Imagined by the artist, the entry details reflect ancient Egypt, evoking another time. For his final touch, Cardinale sculpts the likeness of exterior embellishments, from functional miniature doors and swinging bells from the roofline.
Simple yet profound, Cardinale finishes the composition with a drawer on the front of the piece. Upon opening, Cardinale’s wife PJ, of 56 years, composes a mix-media collage paying homage to the church and the architect himself.
• 13.50" (34.29cm) height
• 15" (38.1cm) width
• 15" (38.1cm) depth
• One of a kind